By: Priyanka Arjun
Friday funda skip a beat
Goethe said “Architecture is frozen music”
It’s a mantra to achieve well composed form and space which just doesn’t seem to address aesthetics but also triggers the senses.
Let’s try to understand this guideline with architecture in context
Any form of monotony (like the one in music too) becomes boring, disinteresting, ultimately disliked and in some cases even abandoned. A note when played in same styles becomes a noise soon and so is the case in architecture/spaces so how do we address it?
Here are the few elements and a pinch of it can add flavour like saffron in the milk
Here we go….
- Colors (a splash or gentle touch of it)
- Materials (mosaic of materials at intervals as break)
- Shades and shadows (intermingling forms, open and semi open composition of spaces)
- Projections and fenestrations ( jharokhas, jalis and the likes)
- Dynamic elements (like wind chime, moving/revolving/rotating components)
- Illusions (doors, patterns angled walls, curvilinear meandering passages)
- Surprises (by virtue of forms that hide themselves unless approached)
- Art work (sculptures & paintings
Lead by example:
The city palace facade is an ideal case study to understand the point
When we look towards the majestic facade it speaks of all the elements, teaches us the lesson of timelessness in design!
Skip a beat and create music
The inferences were drawn by discussions between Sunil Ladha, Priyanka Arjun, Amit Gaurav, Uttam Bansal and Priyamvada Kayal at City Palace.
The plaza(Manek Chowk) enclosure is perfect to observe the building and appreciate it’s random magnanimity. It is close yet open to city view, creates unhindered arched vistas.
The facade inspires via its disorder, elements, composition, there is no modern day copy paste even the rear side of building has a completely different character. The age old araish and beautiful stain glass windows are ornaments of this splendid palace. It excites the visitor as there is so much to see and learn from!
Time to skip a beat and create music!